Tuesday 14 September 2010

Shoe Love

This is my entry for Selfridge's 'What's Your Shoe Story?' Competition, let me know what you think!


I remember the day I ordered them like it was yesterday, when in fact nearly six years have passed. I was sixteen years old; and I scrimped and saved to buy them, the black lace up platforms with the towering heels.
I remember tearing at brown paper wrapping, like an excited child at Christmas. The pristine white of the large square box, scrabbling at the lid excitedly with my bitten fingernails. I had to get Mum to help me lace them up, fumbling with the many many hooks and eyelets.
We laughed so hard as I took my first clumsy steps on those five inch heels. Hysterical as I staggered and fell like a newborn giraffe.
But those booys were my Everest. Every scrape and blister was a badge of honour. And I got there in the end.
The many hours I would spend polishing their matt PVC, the frustration of re-lacing them, the agony after spending a long night atop those platforms, can only be remembered fondly.
I have such an unnatural, undying love fore those boots, but if it's a crime; arrest me.
You can find the details for the competition here:
http://shoe.selfridges.com/backlanding/?startIndex=0&displayed=6&searchText=

2 comments: